- Dissolve 2 tsp. active yeast in 2-2/3 cups warm water. Let it sit until it bubbles.
- Stir in 3 cups hard whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup barley malt syrup. Beat that for about 5 minutes. Let rise about 45 minutes or until it doubles in bulk. Stir down.
- Add 2-1/2 tsp sea salt and 1 TBL cider vinegar and 2 TBL oil. Begin to work in 3 cups hard whole wheat flour. You may need a bit more or less of the flour.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead dough for about 10 minutes, until it becomes smooth, even and elastic. Set into an oiled bowl and lightly oil the top. Let rise until double.
- Punch down and divide into 2 loaves and let rise in a warm place.
- Bake at 350 deg for 45-60 minutes.